10. velj 2015.

Beautiful Redemption by Jamie McGuire

Buy the book:
Author's:

My rating: 2.5 stars

Book summary:

"No-nonsense Liis Lindy is an agent of the FBI. Deciding she is married only to her job, she breaks off her engagement and transfers from Chicago to the field office in San Diego. She loves her desk. She is committed to her laptop. She dreams of promotions and shaking hands with the director after cracking an impossible case.

Special Agent in Charge Thomas Maddox is arrogant, unforgiving, and ruthless. He is tasked with putting away some of the world’s toughest criminals, and he is one of the best the Bureau has to offer. Though, as many lives as he’s saved, there is one that is beyond his reach. Younger brother Travis is faced with prison time for his involvement in a basement fire that killed dozens of college students, and the media want a conviction. Travis’s only savior is his unusual tie to the mob. In a deal that will spare his brother, Thomas has agreed to recruit Travis into the FBI.

Liis is stubborn, defiant, and yet somehow softens Thomas’s rough edges, making her the perfect agent to accompany him to the ceremony. Posing as a couple, they must travel to Travis & Abby’s beach vow renewal and give him the news, but when the pretending ends, she finds herself wondering if they were pretending at all."

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23731810-beautiful-redemption

Short?
      It was okay, but main female character was so damn annoying.

 Longer version? Here we go...

  description

      I was probably among first hundred people who read and loved Beautiful Disaster, before whole "new adult wave" and x-number of Travis Maddox rip-offs. Yes, I did read all sequels because, let's be honest here - all of us have that one series we keep reading no matter the fact that it's not good as the "original" story. Jamie McGuire and her Maddox Brothers are that for me.

So, what happened with Beautiful Redemption?

       At first, I was excited because, finally, setting of the story is not college or underground fighting circles, characters are older and it looked as if it would have more suspense elements.
      Um... No! It is, after all, Jamie McGuire who, along with S.C. Stephens, writes the most annoying female characters you can imagine. But seriously, they are begging you to hate them.

 description
       Liis Lindy is an agent of the FBI and she is supposed to be this tough, bad-ass girl who takes down bad guys with her mad skills. Well, for someone who is "the best in her field of work", she acts like immature teenage girl who throws tamper tantrums because shade of her nail polish doesn't match her current mood.  

Whole book is rinse and repeat of following:
  1. Let's have sex.  
  2. Let's ignore the fact that we had sex.  
  3. Act like a jealous girlfriend/boyfriend even though we agreed we won't do relationship.
  4. Let's have sex again. But just because our super important, secret mission. Yeah, that's the reason... And when can we repeat it again?
  5. I know that I said that we will not be couple, but let me be complete bitch because you still haven't gotten over your ex-girlfriend.   
  6. Repeat number 3.  
  7. Repeat number 4.  
  8. Repeat number 5.
  9. Again number 5.  
  10. Repeat... okay you get the point.
       Considering all alpha male melodrama that follows every Maddox brother, Thomas is quite tame compared to his brothers. That is probably one of the rare good things in Beautiful Redemption. We finally get a different character. Premise of the story was really good, but I have to admit that I couldn't follow many FBI related details. It was confusing and rushed. Especially in the end.

      I did enjoy reading this novel - as I said, I just can't resist Maddox clan and I can rant until the end of the world, but I will still read every new sequel. Beautiful Redemption had potential to be the best so far, but sadly it failed.

Broj komentara: 10:

  1. I wasn't a fan of the first one so I doubt I'd enjoy this, especially with all the drama. Thanks for your honest review, Glass! :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. I haven't read this series and I know that it's definitely not for me so I am going to stay away but... I know what you're talking about! There is always that one series you're going to continue reading even if they just function as good brain candy!

    I am sorry you didn't enjoy this one more though, Glass :(

    Lovely review though! :)

    Rashika @ The Social Potato

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. Oh man, I am so sad you didn't like this! I was so hoping it would live up to the others. Bummer. Now I don't even know if I want to bother reading it or not.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. Oh I understand why you were annoyed with this one... it's too bad mainly if you loved the other book. I haven't tried any but maybe one day. thanks for the review.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. I haven't read anything by this author, but nevertheless I'm sorry this one was a bit of a disappointment! It does sound like an annoying main character and I can't stand such a repetitive "romance".

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. Oh god, it sucks that this one was such a miss for you! The MC here certainly seems like a disappointment and I definitely wouldn't wanna go near this either.

    Thanks for the honest review, Glass <33

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. I haven't read this series yet, but I hate when the couple repeatedly has the same problems, ad nauseam. Don't they ever say, 'huh, we've had this issue before, MAYBE we shouldn't do the same thing all over again'?
    Anyway, great review, and I hope the series has another high point for you!
    ~Litha Nelle
    P.S. You aren't alone in reading every sequel despite not loving them near as much- I do it too.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. I didn't like Jamie McGuire's debut book and the more reviews I read for her other book, the more I want to stay away. This girl sounds like a pain in the ass. Ugh. I'm sorry this was such a disappointment for you, Glass. Hopefully your next read will be much stronger than this!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. Oh, good lord. This sounds completely horrible! You're right, the heroine here is simply begging to be loathed at. I already hate her so much! It's like, come on, aren't there any other direction this story is going other than what have been rinsed and repeated in the last 300 pages? I'm definitely not touching this one. I'm allergic to such plots AND characters!

    Faye at The Social Potato

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. Oh, Glass! I read your review of Beautiful Redemption on Goodreads, and I do agree with you on most points.

    The female lead was strong and independant, but she did get on my nerves sometimes. I mean, I'm like, just go with it already! Anyway, Thomas was super cute for me.

    And the best part about this book was that it was WAY better than Oblivion. I wish you had liked it more! Will you be reading the next books in the Maddox Brothers series?

    Great review!

    Sarika @ The Readdicts

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...