1. svi 2015.

Review: Confess by Colleen Hoover

My rating: 3 stars

Book summary:

"Auburn Reed has her entire life mapped out. Her goals are in sight and there’s no room for mistakes. But when she walks into a Dallas art studio in search of a job, she doesn’t expect to find a deep attraction to the enigmatic artist who works there, Owen Gentry.

For once, Auburn takes a risk and puts her heart in control, only to discover Owen is keeping major secrets from coming out. The magnitude of his past threatens to destroy everything important to Auburn, and the only way to get her life back on track is to cut Owen out of it.

The last thing Owen wants is to lose Auburn, but he can’t seem to convince her that truth is sometimes as subjective as art. All he would have to do to save their relationship is confess. But in this case, the confession could be much more destructive than the actual sin…"

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22609310-confess
(There are few spoilers in this review.)

     So... That Colleen Hoover... She knows how to sell a story, doesn't she? I've been waiting for so long to read Confess, my little black heart hated deeply everyone who got ARC and I was so excited when I saw that there are actual pictures in it. And then few of my trusted Goodreads friends had a lot to say - a lot meaning not positive.
(I should have know what would happen as soon as I agreed to read this book with Vishous. Have you noticed how we end up not liking CoHo books that we read together, darling?)
 description  

All the things I did not like:

 - Hipster characters. Oh, Colleen Hoover just loves those - artistic, misunderstood, emotional, heartbroken, preppy, sensitive, with a lot to say and, let's not forget, great hair. Owen is epitome of all previously mentioned. Some might argue how his character is different from other CoHo boys, but he is not. Only difference is the type of art he chooses. Everything else - same old, same old. Auburn is overly naive despite the fact that she got pregnant when she was fifteen and that she has a child, that she had to give up on her dreams and follow her evil "mother-in-law" across the country so she should be close to the kid.

  - Instant love and all "we were meant to be together" talk . Okay, this is pretty much something that you have in every C. Hoover book so far. I think I was more annoyed by predictability of the storyline than the insta-love scenario itself.

 - I suffer, you suffer, we all suffer... Everyone got to have a sob story. Even a sob story, has a sob story. I'm talking about that part in the end where she explains how Adam and Owen are connected.

 - Too slow, too fast. At first, I was bothered by how little happens and later everything happens at once. Ending was to rushed I I really didn't like whole evil brother trope. Do we seriously need to go there every time? I didn't buy that part of the story, plus additional connections between characters were a bit over the top.  

DID I LIKE ANYTHING?
  description

      No one can say that Colleen Hoover doesn't know how to write an emotional story. Her writing pulls you from the very start and the way she describes things - just wow. I loved whole part with confessions and paintings, how she connected them. Also, giving shout out to artists out there is slowly becoming one of her signature moves and it's something I admire. Confess is enjoyable and quick read that all fans of this author will appreciate. Maybe I would have liked it more if I didn't have tons of work related things to finish, but I am still happy that I gave it a go.

Until the next time,

Broj komentara: 13:

  1. I'm a bit sad you didn't like this more but still happy that you did like it. Nice review Glass!

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  2. I haven't read anything by this author. I'm curious, but I don't think I'd like all her novels if they are so similar. I'm not a huge fan of that instant love aspect of novels either.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  3. Love the sound of the emotions but worried about a few of your concerns

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  4. Meh... I am not thrilled with Colleen Hoover anymore, her books are all following the same worn out predictable formula. I am sorry this one was so not for you, I think I will pass. Have a great weekend.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  5. I used to be a die hard Hoover can but lately her work just isn't working for me. Her books just aren't all that thrilled for me anymore. They seem to all follow the same formula and for the most part have lost their magic. There's no denying they aren't emotional, but they all ring the same, you know?

    Lily @ Lilysbookblog

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  6. oh no.... i haven't been hearing the best about Confess... i've pretty much read all her books (except hopeless #2) and i enjoyed them all.. but the insta love? *cries*

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  7. I haven't read a single Collleen Hoover book...please don't hate me. Lol. But I have seen so many raving reviews for this one. It's nice to see a average one too as books aren't always for everyone. Great honest review, Glass.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  8. Oh I'm so sorry that you were disappointed by this book, Glass! I can totally see why you would be, especially if the author just kept on using her same old tropes from her previous novels.

    Great and informative review! <33

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  9. Even though it wasn't perfect, I'm glad to see you still somewhat enjoyed this book despite its flaws. Instalove is no fun, so I definitely can't blame you there. ;) I guess if I want to read a Colleen Hoover book this probably isn't the one I should pick up. *sighs* Thanks for the honest and well thought-out review! <3

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  10. I am listening to this on audio Glass and enjoying it, but not far enough in to voice and opinion yet. Too bad this didn't totally rock for you

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  11. This is the first CoHo book that I've read that disappointed me. I didn't mind the hipster characters too much, but man how disappointing was the "too much too soon" kind of thing and the sob story. I feel like I've read it all! Great review.

    OdgovoriIzbriši
  12. Again, I agree with you 100%! This book was way better than Maybe Someday for me, so that was the only plus. At least I finished it, unlike MS. Colleen Hoover has a very unique way of writing stories, but it does get repetitive and boring too. And yes! Perfect point! How does everyone suffer in her books? No one is just... normal? Great review!

    OdgovoriIzbriši

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...